Thursday, March 15, 2012

Glass Coffin "Haunted by the Ghosts of the Damned" lp


Glass Coffin
Haunted by the Ghosts of the Damned
Prison Tatt Records
(5)



After last year's cassette release by Glass Coffin impressed me enough to refer to it as one of the best releases of the year, I was quite excited to see a new piece of Josh Lay's psychedelic, lo-fi, bedroom black metal onslaught. I was also quite relived that this record was not a let down from what I considered an almost perfect previous effort. This record, although only having music on one side, shows a huge range in the dark horridness of black metal. Some mid tempo riff heavy twisted tracks, some full on blasting drums with insane sounding guitars and an ending track of some distant howls over the top of horror movie like piano lines. It's awesome to see where this is going. I can't recommend this one enough. It's super limited, only 100 copies and has screen printed covers with sort of naive typesetting and artwork that perfectly works with the music. My only real complaint and it's not much of a complaint is that they kinda wasted the b side visually. They should have screen printed or stenciled that side instead of leaving it blank. Not a big deal as there is label on that side but I think that effort would have been very appreciated. Anyway. Go get this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment