Sunday, May 6, 2012

Yoshihiro Kikuchi "One Intensely Eats Up Another Economic Principle " cs


Yoshihiro Kikuchi
One Intensely Eats Up Another Economic Principle
Fragment Factory



This is maybe the smartest thing I have reviewed in awhile. Maybe it's a little pretentious but I am very impressed. All of the sounds on this cassette were made from found audio files that I guess were corrupted and then re-corrupted by the artist using a complex process of transferring files that I barely understand. Luckily he explains the process but even with that it is hard to wrap my mind around. There are a couple small typos in this explanation but I get the gist of it. The sound is minimal digital squelching, feedback and distortion. Other times it gets more manic but still with this interesting digital twisted sound. It's really good. 
     The design is top notch. Perfectly tracked out typography with a nice san serif typeface for the cover and the info. The note inside is done with a more traditional typeface which gives it a more human feel. I probably would have gone for Garamond or something that you could use to be highly readable but fit a lot more characters on a line and maybe increased the leading slightly. That is all knit picking though. This looks great. I should also mention that the text is printed on a clear transparency sheet and the artwork is printed full color on separate card stock. It's a very nice touch. Signed and numbered edition of 66 copies. Not enough. 
     Would I buy this? Yes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment