Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Blanche Blanche Blanche "Open Session Rock " cs


Blanche Blanche Blanche
Open Session Rock
OSR tapes




This is pretty different for me. Strange lo-fi bedroom pop and rock similar to maybe early Ariel Pink. I actually like Ariel Pink quite a bit, or at least did. For Kate I Wait is such a gorgeous song. BBB sounds similar to me but it's quite different as well. No drums to really speak of. Some real incredible bass playing along with guitars, keyboards and lots of nonstop singing. It's good stuff but I am not totally jelling with it for some reason. The tape is pretty long and that can turn me off a little. Also the songs sound nice but they never really have a hook. They sort of just start and stop without anything really being said. It's hard to describe but I think they need to write fewer songs better. 
     The artwork on the cover and inside is pretty cool if not a little slapdash. There is some interesting hand done type but I think they could have done it all a little better. all in all i think the whole release lacks a little effort. It needs some of the pop sensibilities that it's predecessors knew so well.
     Would I buy this? No. 

4 comments:

  1. Yeah that artwork on the cover looks blurry. I can imagine what you're saying. I can imagine they could have done it all a little better. The hand done type. The hand done type could have all been done a little better. It's predecessors knew so well. It's too blurry in the picture. That can turn me off a little. I buy this. I am totally jelling. The whole release lacks a little effort. The photo isn't even crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I take a clearer photograph will you try to make sense?

    I should have chosen a better photo. For that I apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. without anything really being said will you try to make sense?

    ReplyDelete