Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sky Thing "Cooler Heads Prevail" cs+ a zine by John Collins McCormick

Sky Thing
Cooler Heads Prevail
Eggy Records
(5)




This is phenomenal. Electric Acoustical layers of percussion and tape manipulations that make up a beautiful and perfectly constructed tape. I don't want to compare it to anything as I really think you should just pick this up right away. Small drums married with warped and broken vocals, maybe? Slowed down cymbals and fire? It's hard to say what I am exactly listening to but almost all of it sounds familiar. This tape sounds almost like it could be the start of something new. I can't really say much more. I wish I could just buy every copy and give them to all of you. I am really pleased to have received this. The art, by Josh Kermiet, is gorgeous. the layout is beautiful. I have to ask Eggy where they get their covers made. It's a nice full color newsprint type paper that reminds me of what comics are supposed to feel like. 


I also received a zine along with this tape by the artist behind Sky Thing, John Collins McCormick. It's a beautiful printed/hand lettered sine of asymmetrical drawings. Mostly in black and white but with a couple hand colored pages to set it off. It's a nice accompaniment to go with the cassette. His lines have the character of some of Jim Woodring's lines but totally abstract. This is something I would like to see more of. If you are interested you can email John here.













1 comment:

  1. The book was published through FRIENDS & RELATIVES records/books/objects company. To get a copy, send $2 (postage paid) to: 114 S. Huron St., #4, Ypsilanti, MI 48197 -- or paypal to: friendsandrelativesrecords@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete