Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pregnant Spore "(ache for)" cs


Pregnant Spore
(ache for)
Rainbow Bridge 
(3)

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It is epic and the sounds are great but it also feels a little off. You know how John Wiese does that sort of stop and start noise thing, bursts of harsh destruction mixed with absolute silence? You get a lot of that here. It does seem pretty interesting and restrained at times but then again it feels a little lifted as well. Like I said I am a bit confused on how I feel. The first half of the first side is great but it really feels a little familiar but the second half of the first side is the Pregnant Spore I love. Pulsing rhythms of pure noise mixed with broken synths and tortured sounding loops. It all has that lo-fi sound I love from Pregnant Spore's earlier releases. I guess this was recorded mainly by accident while trying out some ideas and the artist fell into a bit of a trance. I can see that. I have done that. You create some very interesting things but sometimes it gets a bit self indulgent. Not that I think in noise that is really a bad thing. At least I hope not. When I said this was epic I should also point out that this cassette is a c92 so you are in for a trip here. The packaging is very thrown together. Folded origami paper for a jcard, completely blank cassettes and tiny computer print out info cards. It is limited to 50 copies and I think you should grab one. Just as the audio on this release keeps changing so does my opinion. It's perplexing. It's a piece that I may have to revisit a few more times. 

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the honest review!

    the packaging was put together the way it was to serve as a sort-of fundraiser tape for the next rainbow bridge batch, just for your information.

    ReplyDelete