Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Golden Gardens "the Somnambulist Remixes" cs


Golden Gardens
The Somnambulist Remixes
Automation Records
(3)

I am torn on this one. First of all I am not very familiar with Golden Gardens not remixed so my frame of reference made it difficult to be objective. I was holding off on reviewing this until i knew more… Then time went by and I said, "fuck it. I am going to review it on the merit of it's work and not worry about the context". So now that you know that here is the second thing: I half love and half hate the tracks on this cassette. There are some real stand outs, especially from Golden Gardens themselves. Those tracks are exceptional. I could listen to them all day. I like them enough to want to search out everything from this beautiful Seattle and Florida duo. The other remixed tracks though are pretty hit or miss. The track from Cex is okay but i am really not of fan of anything this guy has put out yet. Not horrible, just not my thing. The Nonnon track that follows it kinda bums me out. It makes me think about being in the middle of Hempfest, surrounded by people who i seem to have one thing and only one thing in common with. It's too much trippy wanderings for me. The remix from Hair is pretty nice. Quiet but still complex. Interesting and pretty cool but then the track that follows that is pretty much straight up house music. Again, just not my thing. I hate that one drum beat with a passion. Luckily the last track is from Golden Gardens and it's fantastic. The whole affair is certainly interesting and worth giving a listen to. I give the tracks a 2, 2, 4, 5, 4, 2, 5… so average that out and there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment