Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Actuary/Bastard Noise "Skeletal Uncertainty" split 12"


Actuary/Bastard Noise split 12"
Skeletal Uncertainty
Love Earth Music
(4)

I know most of you that have read my blog know that I am not a fan of samples in noise. I don't know what it is about it but something usually just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it just comes off as a little dated to me. It usually just sorta pulls me out of the moment and reminds me that not only is this sample from a movie but I probably have a Netflix DVD to return and I better get it in the mail if i want to get another copy of Cowboy Bebop…. and then it's ruined. Actuary does seem to use samples in some of their pieces but they handle it in such an appropriate and seamless way that it totally pulls me in. Their mood is sullen and terrifying all at the same time. The sounds are just about as bleak as you can make it. They really remind me of when I got my first Smell & Quimm cassette in the mail. How dark and fucked the whole thing was. I had the feeling that one day it would be evidence. Had the West Memphis 3 listened to shit like this instead of Marilyn Manson's pg-13 mall rock, they would have never gotten out. Bastard Noise in their own right have always done great work. This is no exception. In fact, this is the most exciting release from them I have heard in awhile. It's a real black lump of chaos spinning on your turntable. The whole blistering painful noise symphony is totally brought to a new level with Eric Wood's insane vocals. This is a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment