Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Stuart Chalmers/Robert Ridley-Shackleton split cs


Stuart Chalmers/Robert Ridley-Shackleton
Blunders
Hissing Frames
(3)


I am not sure if it is because my two year old got to this cassette before I did or just because of the sounds on it but Stuart Chalmer's side of this cassette is disorienting. It's like listening to a clown repair a steam ships engine while there is a storm outside, backwards. It's pretty fucked up. The loops are almost melting on this one. It's pretty awesome. Robert Ridley-Shackleton, who is becoming one of my favorite artists lately, does some awesome minimal synth manipulations and squelches. I recommend turning this up loud because it disappears from time to time. The tape is a little on the long side. It's a c52. I love listening to cassettes but I am starting to think a c30 might be my limit… That's not really true, it's really just because of how much I have to review lately. This is actually a fine length. As far as the artwork goes Robert usually gets real out there but this one feels a little thrown together. It's nice but I feel like he could have gone a little farther with it. Either way this is a good release. First release on Hissing Frames. 

No comments:

Post a Comment