Sunday, June 10, 2012

Wolf Fluorescence "Bath House" cs


Wolf Fluorescence 
Bath House
Tycho Magnetic Anomalies






This is one of those cases where you really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. When I get to the "cover" I will explain more but let me just say that the audio on here is really good. Super dense drone soundscapes that are nowhere near the creepy metal side of drone but more on the gorgeous waves of melodic static. It is a quite wonderful selection of audio. Absolutely gorgeous.
     One the other hand it looks horrible. The tape itself is in a handmade slipcase that is poorly cut and glued, the text on the front is done by hand and it actually looks like it would have been pretty cool but the artwork, the handmade text and the text on the back looks like they were emailed over in a jpeg that was at 72 dpi, maybe, and then enlarged and printed. It's terrible. The cover of the j card is actually fine, it is a simple vintage looking photograph of roses. The inside is unfortunately pretty tragic. Bad type used poorly. I know how hard typography is, I can't look back at everything I have done in even the past few months and be proud of it all, but it's absolutely something you really need to learn if you are going to design. It's not pretentious in the least to adhere to good typography. It's actually there for other people to not notice. It's there for legibility. That is not to say that this is the worst type I have ever seen on a tape. I have seen worse today in fact, but this reminds me of one thing about packaging. It can either look like something you worked hard on or something you made when you stayed up too late one night. 


     Would I buy this? Probably not, and it's a shame because I would be missing out on some excellent music. 


No comments:

Post a Comment