Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Moloch "feast of tentacles"


Moloch
s/t
Feast of Tentacles
(2)

Eh. Not bad. Not great. My friend told me "they sound like hardcore kids trying to be Eyehategod". He was dead on. They don't quite get what they are emulating and they can't quite shake the hardcore approach to songs. You can't just tune down, slow down and becoming drug addicted jerks and suddenly be Eyehategod. Only Cavity was ever able to do that. I have no idea if these guys are jerks. They are probably totally killer dudes and probably still don't do any real drugs but I can't tell. All I have to go on is this release. It's not bad. I want to reiterate that. It has a ton of potential but i think they need to to really reevaluate their approach to song writing. The tape is made up of a few demo tracks, a 10" and a comp song. Nothing new but not a bad sampling.

Near the end I was wondering why the hell they were using that sample of Rod Serling talking about concentration camps like i have heard on a record recently. I couldn't quite place it but i knew it like the back of my hand. Then it hit me. The sample is a cover or part of a cover. Then they go into a super slowed down version of Rorschach's "Lightning Strikes Twice". And it's totally awesome.
The layout is pretty cool. Simple and a bit uninspired but it looks nice. There is a tiny booklet of pictures of suicides insides. That's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment