Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Ice Orgy—III cs

Ice Orgy
III
Unovis




Another gorgeous release from Ice Orgy. First of all the music is excellent. Basically the soundtrack to my current anxiety attack that I have been experiencing for the past 48 hours. I am not kidding. I am falling apart. Hooray! The first side is this building and rhythmic drone type piece that completely works on every level. The second side reminds me a bit of some of the more experimental Mt. Eerie stuff (I am totally, mostly thinking this because of what I am about to mention). It’s got drum machines and loops that degrade into a tense, yet beautiful drone.. You should hear this. I love this project. I respect how few releases they do but I do wish there was a higher output coming from them. Maybe now that they have relocated to Port Angeles, WA from Brooklyn, NY (definitely a step up, and I love Brooklyn) we will get more from this project. Maybe even a show or two. 

The packaging is wonderful. Linoblock carved elements along with letterpressed o-cards and j-cards. They said something in a note about how the printing wasn’t as nice as they wanted and I think for the paper chosen this is an excellent print job. The paper feels like French paper which has a shitload of sizing in it. That makes getting an impression without damaging your type pretty difficult. The ink layers seem good and the choices all work well for me. I say bravo! I also would like to take this moment to ask the French Paper Company to create a line of papers designed for letterpress. They have a 140lb paper they say is good for letterpress but it’s really not. It’s fine but I am hoping for the texture and feels of BFK Rives or Savoy Reich but with the colors selection of French. I know that is super difficult, almost impossible, but you should do it anyway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment