Thursday, May 26, 2011

Breatherholes "give it to you" cs




Breatherholes
give it to you
self released
(4)

When you get a tape that looks like this in the mail, you know you are in for a discovery. I took a few minutes to examine this and figure out what kind of music might be on this one. My blog definitely leans towards harsh, dark and creepy sounds so when I looked at this cover I thought "junk, harsh noise with an ironic hate of the deaf and an equal distaste of cassette tape cases". Seemed like a solid guess. The folded info sheet/sign language card is glued to one side of this tape and the tape itself has the kind of typed labels that you find in a sad christian book store of some jesus rambling cassette. So I was a little surprised when I removed the adhesive and placed this in my player. The music is lo-fi bedroom psych/folk that is definitely a little on the indie side. It exists somewhere near Neutral Milk Hotel and Mt. Eerie but doesn't really sound like either. More sparse and empty but full of almost overwhelming emotion. The songs are mainly acoustic guitar and effected vocals but with the occasional drum,wood block, chime or toy piano accompaniment. The beautiful lyrics and an excellent singing voice are the real strengths of this release. I almost wonder if he uses the very DIY packaging to somehow hide his talent. Like girls who let their hair hang over their faces. This is quite well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment