Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fire in the Head/Bereft split 12"


Fire in the Head/Bereft split 12"
MA/PE/FU Vol. 1
Existence Establishment
(3)



This 12" is the first in a series of releases focusing on Massachusetts noise artists. Both acts on this record deliver some intense industrial power electronics and harsh noise. Fire in the Head is Michael Page (also of Sky Burial, which I loved) and he brings some brutal sounds. I thought for a minute there might be a Full Metal Jacket sample within the music but I don't think so. I was about to have to remind everyone of the 20 year moratorium on using any samples from Full Metal Jacket. 20 years. Serious, but I must stress that I am really not a fan of samples. They just take me out of it. I start wondering where that sample was from and I can't get into the otherwise awesome sounds being created. Sometimes it works well but I guess it's all personal preference. Still Fire in the Head is pretty good. Super heavy grinding synths and harsh noise. The vocals are pretty deranged and that adds a nice bit of fury to what is already pissed. Bereft is also very dark. More of a laid back harsh drone meets the Swans type of thing. It's pretty fucking awesome actually. Dark, noisy and with creepy vocals. Reminds me a bit of Drowner from Seattle. Massachusetts has some pretty killer shit happening and I hope this series of 12"s shows that off.  The one negative for me isn't as important as whether or not the music is any good but it's still important. The layout. I rally hate the type treatment for pretty much the whole record. Maybe it was intentional but the type mixed with the photographs makes this look like I was receiving a straight edge hardcore 12" from 1995. I was expecting both bands to sound like Strife and Ten Yard Fight or something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment